Today when I discussed with my husband what’s for lunch he told me jockingly: I want to have the usual five stars menu! All right-I nodded with disapproval- but I still don’t know what to make? But he didn’t care he kissed me and left for work.
But 1 hour later meanwhile I was torturing my body at the gym’s (pilates) suddenly my grandma’s best potato beignet crossed my mind! When I was already about stretching I had already recalled how did they taste..so heureka! that will be for lunch today!
After having a shower I ran immediately to my bookshelf and searched for my grandma’s 100 years old recipe book (she passed me over and I have just spruced up the cook book recently). I have found it!
the recipe follows
Tuna steak with caper and potato beignet with crunchy vegetables
Ingredients for the beignets: 2-4 potatoes ( 4 potatoes for four persons) cooked, 1 egg, 100 or more grs flour, 100 ml milk, 2 grs yeast, pinch of sugar, salt, oil for frying
for the tuna: 4 steaks of tuna fish, 3 tbs oil or butter, salt, pepper, mustard, capers (8-10) 1 dl cream, 1 tbs of soy sauce
1. Cook potatoes. When they are well cooked peel them.
2.In a bowl, stir together the milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand in a warm place until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
3. In an other bowl toss the flour with the salt and stir well. Add the egg and yeast mixture to the well. Using a wooden spoon, incorporate the flour into the liquid ingredients.
4. Smash potatoes and add into flour-yeast mixture. Work everything together one more time until dough is smooth.
5. Heat oil and add dough one by one with a help of a soup spoon and fry them until golden brown.
The tuna steak (my own recipe)
1. Salt and pepper fish. Heat butter, add fish. Cook for 3 minutes on each sides. Put aside.
2. Add mustard, capers. Cook for 2 minutes. Set back fish steaks and pour over cream.
3. Add soy sauce. Serve in hot with the beignets and the fried or cooked vegetables.