Two years ago when I spent three weeks in France at Cote D’Azur, in Nice I ate an excellent vegetable beignet dish. Just last week I got the recipe from my French grandma and I prepared it immediatelly. It was really good.
Here it is:
For the Beignets
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or chickpeas flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- broccoli; grated on box grater, cauliflower, eggplant, tomato etc
- vegetable oil; to fry
For the Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 3 teaspoons Hot Sauce (optional)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons capers; roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions; thinly sliced
For the Beignets: Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Add the eggs and milk, and mix until combined. Fold in the vegetables except tomato. Scoop out the beignets and drop into the oil, frying until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel lined plates and season with salt.
For the Dipping Sauce: Whisk together ingredients until combined and adjust seasoning as needed.