Fried or oven baked beets, celery, turnips, mushrooms or sweet potatoes? Yes and yes again! In Western Europe the new trend of instead of the traditional boiled or mashed vegetables is frying them in their skin on. Celery strips, salted and flavored with curry, unpeeled beets, with ground cumin they are all Michelin star restaurant’s catches! Try vegetables to fry in the oven, sprinkled with a little bit of olive oil and bake them at 220 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Show your talent at the flavouring!
Oven roasted sweet potato
Ingredients: 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and fried sliced, oil or 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon curry, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt, Garam Massala (the Indian spice mixture can be omitted), 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
Method of preparation: 1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Clean and cut the sweet potatoes into large logs, then place them in water and let stand for 45 minutes. This is the most important step, because only then will the fried potatoes crispy! 2. When the time has elapsed, the potato strips are spread with a kitchen towel, at the same time try to pat them thoroughly dry. Then just put the cumin seeds, curry, red pepper spice mix (I ground them in a mortar). Place the strips in a deep bowl, spoon 2 tablespoons of oil, then sprinkle with plenty of spice and mix them with your hands ” even conclude the oil to mix well with the spices. 3. Arrange potatoes on a baking tray lined with grease-proof paper so that they do not touch each other, then bake them for 30 minutes, so that about half of the time turn potatoes over to the other side. If you really love the crispy potatoes then after 30 minutes let them for 2 more minutes in the oven ! Meanwhile, prepare the dipping from: 1 plain Greek yogurt, 1-2 cloves of garlic (grated), 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar.
- Thoroughly wash beets (you do not have to peel, but you can if you prefer)
- Slice beets into ¼ inch slices
- Pre-heat frying pan with oil on medium heat (Oil should coat entire pan, but not completely cover the beet slices).
- When pan is hot, add beet slices and allow to cook for approx 5 minutes on each side (don’t forget to flip).
- Once beet slices are browned on both sides, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Season both sides with salt and carraway seeds.
- Serve plain or with your favorite yogurt dipping sauce.