This dish is excellent for a Friday evening with steamed rice or just with some fresh baguette.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 kg prawns (raw large peeled down to the last joint, I prefer to totally peel)
1 tablespoon garlic (or 2 cloves, minced or crushed)
2 tablespoons fresh ginger (finely chopped or grated)
1 red sweet chilli paprika (chopped with or without seeds to your taste)
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tbs honey
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
4 spring onions (scallions cut into 4 cm lenghts)
1 teaspoon cornflour (corn starch)
1 tablespoon water
steamed rice, to serve
- Heat a wok to very hot and add the vegetable oil.
- Blend water and cornflour.
- Add the prawns, garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry until the prawns change colour.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set to one side.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, add the soy sauce (you can flavour with fish sauce as well) and the blended cornflour/water mix, stir until thickens.
- Add the spring onions and the prawns and heat through. You can scatter with mint and fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Serve it with steamed rice.