Ingredients: 6 medium potatoes, 6 hard boiled eggs, 200 ml sour cream around 40% fat, 200 ml cream for cooking, salt, 4 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 Hungarian sausage-kolbász, (it is optional, because the dish works well without meat), 150 gr cheese, Gouda or other cheese used for pizza
- Cook the potatoes in their skin for about 15-20 minutes. Cook 4 eggs until they are completely hard.
- Put a little olive oil in the bowl. (Traditionally most Hungarian cooking used lard in the past but if you make with sausage then you get enough fat by frying it. Olive oil works just as well as a substitution.) Add finally sliced sausage to 2 spoons of heated oil and fry until it releases the fat. Remove from the heat and put aside.
- Peel the potatoes and the eggs.
- Slice eggs, potatoes, then arrange in alternating layers of potatoes, eggs, sausage slices into a fire proof pottery. Salt and pepper dish to taste. Spread the olive oil over the dish. Add two remained eggs to sour cream and cream mixture, mix well then pour over potato dish.
- Place the gratinoise into the preheated oven, bestrew with grated cheese and bake at 200°C for about 35 minutes or until cheese turns into golden brown and crispy.